VMware ESXi is the latest hypervisor architecture presented by VMware. It has an ultra-thin architecture with no reliance on a general-purpose OS, yet still offers all the same functionality and performance of VMware ESX.
Installing Logsign on a VMware ESX Server is pretty simple and straight forward, so let’s see how it can be done.
- Make sure the IP address that you'll assign to Logsign has no restriction on access to the internet. If you're using a firewall or UTM; make sure that the webfilter, IPS or Application Control modules don't prevent the internet access of Logsign. Because the Logsign system will update the version from internet during setup.
- The disk space that you'll assign to Logsign will be formatted. The iso file has Ubuntu 64-bit operating system that comes bundle with Logsign software. the Logsign software will be installed based on the Ubuntu system. So be careful not to install Logsign on an important server, because you'll be able to lose all your important data.
If you haven't downloaded the Logsign iso file yet, then you can follow this link.
Connecting to ESX Server
Start the vSphere Client and type the credential informations of your host:
a - In the IP address / Name text box, type the IP address or the hostname of the remote ESX server.
b - In the User name text box, type the username.
c - In the Password text box, type the password.
Booting and installing Logsign FOCUS
Once you are connected to the remote ESX server, you will face the following window.
Now we can begin the installation/configuration process.
1 - Click on New > Virtual Machine to create the Logsign server.
2 - Follow the creation wizard of the virtual machine.
a - Select Typical then hit Next.
- b - Type the desired name for the VM, and hit Next.
- c - Select the disk space that you'll install Logsign on it.
- d - Choose the operating system as Linux with the version as Ubuntu Linux (64-bit).
- e - In the next step, choice the correct network adapter that is connected to internet.
f - In this step, you need to specify the disk space. The disk usage is able to change according to the count and size of your daily logs. So you can follow this link to calculate the correct and convenient disk space for you.
4 - Now review and check if all the informations are correct then click on Finish button.
We'll need to edit the Settings of the virtual machine and set the memory and CPU size, and then mount a CD with our ISO image to boot from.
We have finished the configuration part, now let’s jump straight to the installation section.